Health and Safety Prevention and Protection Service for the ISPRA Joint Research Centre
Provide specialist technical staff to assist and support the analysis, assessment and management of occupational health and safety in relation to the work performed at the Joint Research Centre of the European Community (ISPRA – Varese site).
To manage workers’ health and safety for a particularly complex facility, with the presence of workers and visitors from many countries (approximately 3000 entries/day), belonging to multiple organisations with profound differences in terms of training, social context and cultural background.
Technical assistance to the internal Prevention and Protection Service is implemented in an integrated, interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary manner, with the continuous, active and participatory involvement of all interested parties (e.g. top levels of the organisation, infrastructures, security service, emergency and first aid teams, Workers’ Health and Safety Representatives, etc.).
Collation of client needs and identification of the solutions to be implemented by providing on-site technical staff for the provision of the following services (non-exhaustive list):
Identification of risk factors and legislative compliance to occupational health and safety obligations
Risk assessment and identification of safety measures to be implemented
Verification of the implementation of prevention and protection measures
Verification of the effectiveness of the prevention and protection measures implemented
NIER Engineering specialists held the following positions and carried out the main activities listed below:
- Consultation with the Health and Safety Officer and operators assigned to the Prevention and Protections Service.
- Drafting of risk assessment documents pursuant to European regulations (Directive 89/391/EEC as amended) and national legislation (Italian Legislative Decree 81/2008, as amended).
- Specific risk assessments (exposure to noise, electromagnetic fields, artificial optical radiation, microclimate, work-related stress, etc.).
- Consultancy in the management of risks related to construction activities and assessment of the technical feasibility of such activities.
- Preparation of Single Documents for the Assessment of Interference Risks (Italian acronym DUVRI) on the risks generated by interference between concurrent activities in the same workplace, in accordance with European regulations (Directive 89/391/EEC as amended) and national legislation (Italian Legislative Decree no. 81/2008, as amended).
- Collaboration with in-house emergency response teams in handling emergencies together with the planning and execution of emergency drills.
- Drawing up emergency plans, evacuation plans and related procedures in cooperation with the parties concerned.
- Drafting of accident, incident and near miss reports and management of the event log.
- Supporting the implementation and management of the occupational health and safety management system in accordance with international standards OHSAS 18001/ISO 4500.
- Provision of OHS training for the Health and Safety Officer and operators assigned to the Prevention and Protections Service.